Summer Programs News
A listing of Maine Summer Programs/Activities for 2018. Please call ASM to have your summer program listed: 1-800-273-5200.
Programs - Summer Camp
Camp Summit - Welcome to the Children's Summer Camp Program
The Autism Society of Maine holds a summer camp program for children ages 5-15 with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). The
purpose of this program is to develop effective communication skills and peer relationships in a social group setting. This
summer program will consist of structured activities supervised by two professionals, and 12-16 college students or
paraprofessionals participating in a field experience and earning credits towards their degrees and/or professions.
This summer camp program takes place in Farmington during the month of August. This is a two week day program that runs Mondays
through Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. There are two separate camp sessions: July 24 through August 17, 2017 .
Camp Summit Brochure
An informational brochure and application will be available April 1st, 2017 Call us at 1-800-273-5200 for more information.
Impact of the Program
Children with ASD frequently exhibit behaviors that are misinterpreted by their peers; and are often bullied,
misunderstood, teased, and occasionally physically harmed. This program provides a safe and fun environment in
which children with ASD learn to develop friendships and practice social interaction strategies.
This summer camp program includes craft activities, outdoor play, swimming, field trips and many other activities
to provide the children with opportunities for social learning. Thus the purpose of this camp is twofold:
- It will provide a positive social learning environment where children with ASD can learn and grow socially in a setting designed to respond to their individual needs.
- It will provide an invaluable learning experience for college students and/or paraprofessionals who would like to learn more about autism spectrum disorders and want to dedicate their career to working with individuals with autism spectrum disorders.
Criteria to Attend
- Parent(s) / Guardian or their adult designee must be available by telephone during camp hours.
- All children’s applications must be screened by camp committee prior to camp acceptance.
- Parent(s) / Guardian or their adult designee must provide lunch, snacks, change of clothing, swim apperal and car seat is necessary.
- Parent(s) / Guardian or their adult designee must provide transportation to and from summer camp.
- Parent(s) / Guardian or their adult designee must be available to administer medication if needed during camp hours.